Blue Springs, Missouri
Named for the springs used as watering holes for wagon trains, the community of Blue Springs was organized as part of Jackson County in 1827 and became the fourth settlement in the county, pre-dating Kansas City.
The settlement continued to grow near the spring until 1878 when the Chicago and Alton Railroad announced plans to build a station about one mile east of the original settlement. The town moved its center to the site of the new station and continued its development as a rural trading center.
Growth continued at a steady pace and was hastened by the beginning of World War II when Lake City Arsenal opened and again in 1965 with the opening of Interstate 70, greatly improving access to Kansas City. In 1970 Blue Springs had a population of 6,779. By 1980 the City had grown to almost 26,000 and today, Blue Springs is one of the fastest growing communities in Missouri with 48,080 residents according to the 2000 census.
A 1998 study commissioned by the city learned that 44 percent of the city's residents are young, well educated with high incomes. More than four out of every 10 residents are homeowners. Twenty-one percent of Blue Springs population is "starter families." According to the study, 17 percent of Blue Springs residents represent multi-income families with school-aged children, headed by well-educated executives and professionals.
Pioneers found Blue Springs to be a great place to stop, because of the clean water from the spring at the Little Blue River. This is where the name Blue Springs came from. The first settlement was located in the City's Old Mill Park which is found on Woods Chapel Road. The City was organized as part of Jackson County in 1827 and was actually the fourth settlement in the county.